EVANGELIARIUM, Manuscript on vellum with pen drawings, XI century
Cassel, Ms. theol. fol. 60 (the Monastery of Abdinghof near Paderborn.)
Paul Clemen (Studien rue Geschichte der karolingiscben Kunst) attributes this ms to the scriptorium of Fulda, in which he thinks Anglo-saxon influence and the style of the golden age of Carolingian art may be traced down to a late period, among others in the drawings this codex (Jaisitchek, Repertoriuns d.Kunstwissensch 1890. [Vol.III] 134 seq. According to Browerus (Antiqq Fuldenses p 295), Scotch monks were invited to Fulda by Abbot Ricardus (1019-1039) and these may also have had some influence on the style.
Leaf Ib contains a hint of the treasures of the church of Abdnighof in the XI. century, and the following leaf list of later date.
Binding: Split beech boards covered with cochineal red chamois leather: 260, 200, 70 mm.
On the front side lies a thick, gilt brass border, the corners of which are adorned with bosses of rock crystal in separate settings and underlaid with blue vellum. In the centre of each side of the border a rose is riveted, the Inner petals being silver and the outer red enamel. The edges of the cover are protected by a metal strip decorated with tiny roses which serve as a setting for the heads of the nails.
Within this frame, which is vigorously engraved, are two ivory tablets, These contains saints who cannot now be identified and two angels, Michael and Gabriel, whose names are still faintly traceable in red Greek letters, Glories, emblems and palls of the angels are gilt. Above and below the tablets runs an obviously . contemporaneous fillet of ivory On removing the tablets it appears that the fillets are affixed by ivory pins to an underiying support between winch the tablets revolved on brass pivots.
This now useless arrangement was originally, no doubt, not without a purpose, and may be explained without difficulty if we assume the tablets to have formed part of a triptych. The backs of the tablets are adorned with a cross and show marks of the former fastening-. and a rabbet.
Almost exact repetitions of our tablets are to be found In the collection at Maihingen and in the treasury of the Cathedral at Aachen (cf, Bock. Karl d. Gr. .Pfalskapelle zu Aachen.Tab. 26 and 27). Here. too, a broad tablet has been preserved, which must have formed the central relief belonging to the wings. Little or no attention has hitherto been paid to the backs of the ivory reliefs on bindings and the traces of their former connexions. It would probably turn out that they had, in many cases, been taken from diptyches and triptyches which were no longer put to practical use for movable altars Ste., and are still preserved in the church treasuries.
To judge by the style the brass border belongs to the second half of the 15th century when the Evangelarium was rebound. The ivory tablets, of delicate work and in good preservation are probably German imitations of a Byzantine original of the 12th century, such as were then popular articles of commerce. The codex was brought from Paderborn in 1773 along with other valuable manuscripts &c. by Raspe, the librarian of the Landgraf Friedrich II. (Cf. Zeitschr. d. Vereins f. Ness. Gesch. and L. 1883. p. 129.).